It is a eight week module with 80 hours of instruction each month.
It aims to achieve the following goals:
- Read and understand a wide variety of extended texts
- Listen to, understand, and participate in extended oral communications.
- Construct a range of coherent and cohesive texts with multiple paragraphs in a fully developed response.
- Demonstrate consistent control of a wide range of grammatical structures.
Key Learning Outcomes:
By the end of the course, the students will be able to:
- Interact fluently with native speakers; errors occur, but it is clear what s/he is trying to say.
- Communicate with reasonable competence in familiar contexts.
- Initiate discourse and take his/her turn in an appropriate manner.
- Give detailed accounts of experiences, describing feelings and reactions.
- Develop an argument and explain a viewpoint
- Give a clear, prepared presentation in class and answer follow-up questions with fluency.
- Understand the main ideas of complex speech delivered in standard English on familiar topics
- Understand much of what is said, but may find it difficult to participate effectively in discussion with several native speakers who do not modify their language.
- Understand announcements on concrete and abstract topics spoken in standard dialect at normal speed.
- Use a variety of strategies to achieve comprehension
- Read with relative ease, adapting style and speed of reading to different texts and purposes; despite some mistakes, student keeps going without help.
- Identify the content and relevance of stories, articles, and non-fiction texts on a wide range of topics.
- Understand written instructions as expected at grade level.
- Use effective strategies to achieve comprehension:
- Write clear, detailed texts on a variety of subjects related to areas of interest
- Write clear descriptions of real or imaginary events and experiences expressing feelings and attitudes.
- Write a short, simple paragraph or report that develops an argument on topics of interest.
- Correct errors if they have led to obvious misunderstandings.
- Produce clearly intelligible writing that follows standard writing conventions.
- Spell and punctuate with reasonable accuracy.
Vocabulary and Grammar
- Develops a good range of vocabulary on most general topics.
- Demonstrates generally accurate word choice.
- Use grammar appropriately
- Communicate in familiar contexts with good control with some interference from the first language.
- Appropriately use articles, quantifiers, demonstratives, personal pronouns, question words, possessives, prepositions, auxiliary verbs, conjunctions, and particles (as appropriate for age peers).